Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lupe talks about The Cool in Complex Magazine

Complex: You had a song on your first album called "The Cool". Tell me about the concept behind it.

Lupe Fiasco: Yeah, it was produced by Kanye West and it was about a hustler who gets killed and comes back to life and digs his way out of his own grave and then goes back to like the neighborhood that he grew up in and eventually winds up, at the end of the song, getting robbed by the same gun that he got shot with by some little kid. So it's very macabre, very dark but I always wanted to do that record, to tell that story of somebody who comes back to life, that kind of manifested itself into "The Cool". And "The Cool" went on to be like the inspiration for the next album. I thought that storyline, that kind of macabreness, that kind of spookiness, you know, leant itself to be even deeper, to be just like one part of a whole kind of storyline. So I put a little bit more thought into it and kind of expanded on it.

C: So would you say that this album is darker than your first?
Lupe Fiasco: Oh yeah, it's much darker just on the strength of the situation that I'm in, in life right now is kind of a happy period. It's a lot of success but it came with a lot of sacrifice and having my pops pass away and just recently having an aunty pass away and then having a friend pass away, Stack Bundles, a rapper in New York who got murdered out here and then to also have my partner get locked up, to get 44 years, all that stuff came along with the situation. It made the setting for me a more darker because I'm a little bit sad.

C: Did all of that happen between albums?
Lupe Fiasco: Yeah, it happened towards the end of Food and Liquor, kind of towards the end of the promotion for that, like the whole time we were recording Food and Liquor, we were on trial and you know, going through the motions of court with my partner and my father was in and out the hospital during the whole situation.

C: Do you vent about those specific issues directly on this album?
Lupe Fiasco: Yeah actually I do. I think I probably tell them through the story of "The Cool". As far as the resurrection, you know, it's kind of like a reach that I would love to have my father back or I would love to have my partner out of jail which, hopefully he'll be getting out soon. I wish that process was actually real and could actually take place.

C: When you mention that macabre kind of feel to the album or even to that song in general, a few movies come to mind like "From Hell" or "Jack the Ripper". Do those also tie into those songs or is that the feeling that you're trying to bring to it?
Lupe Fiasco: I think in a certain way. It's a little bit more serious, you know in this approach as opposed to the first album where everything was a bit more playful and I think that comes directly from just the mood that the album is in.

Read the rest @ Complex Magazine

0 comments: